Seriously, WTF?

Jacqui Caren Jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Thu May 8 11:09:26 BST 2008

George Barnett wrote:
> Funny - I dont see Postgres in there.  Surely PG could at least beat MS-SQL?

Only *commercial* products are submitted and even the commercial
versions of Pg do not seem to have been submitted.
Also that comparison is quite small scale and does not match the types
of activities I tend to undertake in projects.

One real life migration from MySQL to Pg for a UK based music business
was covered on this list and had a dramatic performance
inprovement. Initally the person making the change had no real
Pg skills but as he picked up hints etc the difference soon became
for more evident - especially in the time to web response and
the processor load - two very business critical factors.

I use Firebird, sybase, MSSQL, Oracle, Ingres, Pg, MySQL and others -
they all have pro's and cons and you have to understand them to pick
which is the best fit for a specific job.
There is no magic bullet and if like me you tend to push an RDBMS to
its limits you soon find out some of the less obvious cons.

IMHO MySQL are apples and oranges. There is no way to compare them
as they have radically different "envelopes".