Seriously, WTF?

Paul Orrock paulo at digitalcraftsmen.net
Thu May 8 14:44:15 BST 2008

Christopher Jones wrote:

> With MySQL 4.0.20 running on Apple XServe dual G5 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM;
>
> mysql> select * from histones where chr='1' and location > 10000 and
> location < 20000;

This is exactly the kind of query that MYSQL is designed to run extremely
quickly. I would be surprised if there is a DBMS, or RDBMS that is faster than
MySQL at running this kind of query on a large flat simple table.

Please note that I'm not saying MySQL is the best tool for the job, simply that
for this kind of query it is very likely to be.

regards,

Paul.