moving to the UK

Dirk Koopman djk at
Fri May 9 16:07:41 BST 2008

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Nicholas Clark wrote:
>> However, what isn't obvious, is what are the rules for an EU national 
>> moving
>> to the UK? Specifically an EU national moving to the UK who may choose 
>> not be
>> working for a bit, so won't automatically be paying N.I.
> Depends what you mean by EU.  Within the EU, the theory is free 
> circulation of goods and people.  I can go live and work in any EU 
> country, I would pay tax in that country having filled in the 
> appropriate paperwork.
> Any permanent resident of an EU member state can simply turn up to the 
> UK to live and, optionally, work.  To work, they'll need to apply for an 
> NI number and they'll be put on emergency tax until they're allocated a 
> tax code.

That's all I ever did.

Mind you I was only 15 at the time and they were probably less paranoid 
about foreigners (esp. as I was white and spoke English like someone who 
spent his formative years in Slough).


More information about the mailing list