moving to the UK

Tara Andrews tla at
Fri May 9 16:20:47 BST 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Nicholas Clark <nick at> wrote:
>  It's specifically NHS rules that I'm interested in, and what happens if you're
>  not working. (EU nationals are entitled to live here, but it's not clear what
>  health service provision they can get, and whether what they can get is less
>  if they're not working. And the bloody government doesn't seem to put the
>  rules online anywhere findable)

I came here on a student visa, so I wasn't working or paying tax here.
 I had to go to a meeting with all the other foreigners in order to
register with the college's NHS clinic.  Now the college environment
abstracted some of this away for me, but had I missed this meeting (as
I understand it) I would have just had to go down to the clinic myself
and provide proof of my legal residency, and then they'd let me
register as a patient.  In the case of your EU national, she'll
probably have to show her passport and some utility or bank bill with
her name and address on it.

Of course, then you're back to "getting a bank account is the hard part."


More information about the mailing list