MySQL Performance Example Was: Seriously, WTF?

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri May 9 17:07:56 BST 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 04:47:23PM +0100, Iain Barnett wrote:

> Int, enum, char in that order.

I've always treated ENUM as being more a reminder to myself and to
whoever has to maintain my stuff about what the column is for.  eg, that
the 'pigment' field can contain cyan, magenta, yellow or black but
nothing else.  It also saves the hassle of me having to remember which
of C M Y and K maps to which integer, and saves the database the hassle
of looking up the human-readable names for those integers in another
table.

    Deck of Cards: $1.29.
    "101 Solitaire Variations" book: $6.59.
    Cheap replacement for the one thing Windows is good at: priceless
        -- Shane Lazarus