MySQL Performance Example Was: Seriously, WTF?

Michael Lush mjlush at
Fri May 9 21:19:23 BST 2008

On Fri, 9 May 2008, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> Robbie Bow wrote:
>> What do we gain from transactions when the only task is to insert data
>> e.g. we go from
>> insert
>> to:
>> begin
>> insert
>> commit
> The latter gives you an option to make what you've tried to do go away with
> no impact to other users, the former doesn't.

If the operation succeeds,  its going to have an impact on other users.

If the operation fails, can it have a greater impact than that of

Michael John Lush PhD			Tel:44-1223 492626
HUGO Gene Nomenclature Committee	Email: hgnc at
European Bioinformatics Institute
Hinxton, Cambridge