MySQL Performance Example Was: Seriously, WTF?

Dave Hodgkinson davehodg at
Sat May 10 13:40:59 BST 2008

On 10 May 2008, at 14:27, David Cantrell wrote:

> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 04:30:57AM +0100, Iain Barnett wrote:
>> On 9 May 2008, at 5:07 pm, David Cantrell wrote:
>>> I've always treated ENUM as being more a reminder to myself and to
>>> whoever has to maintain my stuff about what the column is for.  eg,
>>> that
>>> the 'pigment' field can contain cyan, magenta, yellow or black but
>>> nothing else.
>> Um, documentation? You know, that thing no one likes to do. [1]
> Oh, yeah, documentation.  The thing that you have to open in another
> window, search through, and so on - if you even stop to think that you
> might need to refer to it.
> An ENUM is self-documenting.

And one fewer tables to join on. I'd say go table first and move to enum
as part of optimising denormalisation. But maybe that's just me.

Dave Hodgkinson                                MSN: davehodg at
Site:                   UK: +44 7768 49020
Blog:                    NL: +31 654 982906