MySQL Performance Example Was: Seriously, WTF?

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Mon May 12 07:34:15 BST 2008

Iain Barnett wrote:
> If you're using trivial queries and don't like joins then you don't need
> a database. Hence, mySQL.

Not at all.  I may be making trivial queries from the command line but that
doesn't mean that it's not a large and complex database system with umpty
bajillion super-gnarly queries being run against it elsewhere.

I'm quite happy writing a join when I need to, but I'd rather write less when
I don't.  That's especially true when I'm debugging/testing/trying to track
down a missing order of badger food for an angry customer.  I'm more concerned
about looking at the data than worrying about the structure of the data model
and less typing is more good.

Of course I'm not suggesting that anyone should change their schema just to
make trivial queries easier.  Rather that they don't make their schema any
more complicated than it needs to be.