Mobile phone broadband suggestions

Dave Hodgkinson davehodg at gmail.com
Fri May 16 12:10:38 BST 2008

On 16 May 2008, at 12:56, David Cantrell wrote:

> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 09:01:50AM +0100, Edmund von der Burg wrote:
>
>> What should she get so that she has a decent handset to access email
>> and basic web on, and can also connect with her Apple laptop to the
>> net? I doubt she'll be going over a gig a month, any big downloading
>> will be done in London.
>
> If you want it to Just Work, get one of the PCMCIA 3G cards.  They'll
> fall back to plain old GPRS if 3G isn't available.
>
> Or you could go crazy and use a real honest-to-god modem.  With a wire
> going into the wall.  I have an acoustic coupler I can sell you if you
> like.

No, no. Boy scouts on top of the hill with flags.

In other news, I couldn't get my older (something mumble 220) Voda 3G
dongle
working with my new MacBook. There has been some kerfuffle on the
forums about it. The newer ones are alleged to be fine.

Dave Hodgkinson                                MSN: davehodg at hotmail.com
Site: http://www.davehodgkinson.com                   UK: +44 7768 49020
Blog: http://davehodg.blogspot.com                    NL: +31 654 982906
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davehodg