Stopping double clicking with Perl CGI

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Thu May 22 13:23:56 BST 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:06 PM, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 05:25:49PM +0800, Jesse Vincent wrote:
>> On May 22, 2008, at 5:17 PM, Chris Jack wrote:
>> >What is the best way of stopping a user double clicking a button in
>> >a web page created using Perl CGI? ...
>> A trivial javascript handler. Really.
>
> Assuming for a moment that Chris cares because it's a problem and not
> just for the sake of caring, then Javascript isn't the right solution,
> as the user may not have it enabled.

He did also say,

"""
It seems to me that the logical way to do it would be to disable the
button when it is pressed, but I haven't found an example of how to do
that on the web yet.
"""

Which sounds a lot like JavaScript, the rest of the email
notwithstanding. JavaScript is the right solution; you can't
effectively do it with a trip to the server. And if the user disables
JS, then ... pity that user.