Recruiter spam

Martin A. Brooks martin at
Fri May 23 21:03:00 BST 2008

Bruce Richardson wrote:
>>> huh?  Which part of unsolicited are you having a problem with ?
>> I meant to determine if an email should be classed as spam or UCE.  I
>> phrased that badly, sorry.
> Even so, to say that Spam is UCE with forged headers is an arbitrary
> categorisation and not one I would agree with.  Forged sender
> credentials are very common in spam and one of the characteristics most
> commonly used to detect it but it's not a defining characteristic.

Absolutely.  With UCE there typically are no forged headers,  the entity
is simply sending you a marketing message you didn't specifically opt-in
for; cold-calling via the Internet.  You can quickly and easily identify
who the true sender of the message is, not a typical signature of spam.

Martin A. Brooks | | Anti-spam & anti-virus
   Consultant    |  martin at      | filtering. Inoculate  |  m: +447792493388           | your mail system.