Coffee Filter Machines

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Jun 6 11:35:19 BST 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:07:51AM +0100, Ovid wrote:
[...]
> I've heard this is a common problem with built-in grinders. Anyone know of
> anything to the contrary? I needs me a coffee-pot, too. Cafetierres (or
> however the hell you spell them) suck.

"Cafetiere", I believe, but it's usually safer to just call it a "French
Press" instead. There are probably a few accents in it but I'm on a seven
bit terminal.

I have a RAID1 array of cafetiereres and the coffee from them is just fine
*provided you clean them regularly with very hot soapy water*. Most people
just give them a quick rinse under the tap and that doesn't get the stale
oil off. You will also need to dismantle the mechanism that holds the wire
mesh and give that a good wash too.

If you're chaindrinking many pots of coffee a day, it's OK to rinse and
reuse it throughout the day, as long as it still gets a proper scrub,
ideally daily but certainly no less frequent than weekly. You wouldn't eat
your dinner off the same dirty plate for a week...

After a while the wire mesh goes manky; these can be bought separately but
you might just want to buy a whole replacement cafetiererere anyway.