Stripping duplicates from a list

Kake L Pugh kake at earth.li
Thu Jun 12 16:16:17 BST 2008

Hello.  I have a list of strings of variable capitalisation, for example:

aubergine
Aubergine
Banana
carrot
Daikon
DaiKon
daikon
elephant

What I want to do is strip out the duplicates - i.e. those strings
which differ only by capitalisation - but keep by preference one of
the versions that has a capital letter at the beginning.  So the above
list would map to:

Aubergine
Banana
carrot
[either Daikon or DaiKon - doesn't matter which]
elephant

Ideas for the neatest way to do this?  Everything I've come up with so
far is clumsy or buggy.  (This might be because I'm slightly hungover,
so sorry if this is actually a really simple problem.)

Kake