Multi hop ssh connections with Putty

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Fri Jun 20 18:13:28 BST 2008

I have machine - let's call it 'destination' that I want to ssh to.

Unfortunately I have to do that by first sshing into a machine called
'intermediate' on port 6464.

I would like to be able do this automatically in putty by just selecting
the saved profile for 'destination' and I believe that's possible using
some combination of the Proxy config panel and possibly plink but I'm
buggered if I can work it out.

My best guess is to create a new profile for destination with the
correct username and hostname. Then go to

Connection -> Proxy

and select Local and then in 'local proxy command' do

plink intermediate:6464 -n %host:%port

but that doesn't seem to work

Anybody able to shed some light?

Simon