Preferred (or "Best", FSVO) svn/FLOSS hosting?

Marcel Grünauer gr at univie.ac.at
Mon Jun 23 10:02:27 BST 2008

On 23.06.2008, at 10:38, Randy J. Ray wrote:

> I've been meaning to do this for ages, but I'd like to move my
> private SVN repos that I use for my CPAN modules to a publicly-
> accessible service. Reading recently about the git hosting service
> that sprang up a few months back just reminded me. What are
> people's preferred choices for this? Sourceforge.net? Better options?

http://coderepos.org/share

The idea is that everyone can commit to everything, though in reality
certain projects (distros) have a only a few active developers.
CodeRepos is big - there's lang/perl, but also lang/java, lang/ruby,
etc., and there are dotfiles, documentation, whole websites etc.

 From the site: "If you want a svn commit bit, email me your username
and htpasswd format password to yappo <at> shibuya <döt> pl."

There's also #coderepos-en (english) on freenode.

I've moved all of my distros to coderepos, so now I can tell people
who would like a change in one of the distros to get a commit bit and
do it themselves.

There's also a shared CPAN user, called CODEREPOS, that a few people
on coderepos have access to. The motivation was to if you lose
interest or otherwise disappear, no one can upload the distros to
CPAN. But if you give co-maintainership on your distros to CODEREPOS,
it becomes possible.

All of this is done in a responsible way so you don't need to be
worried about all and sundry patching your distros without your
knowledge, or about uploading anything to CPAN.

Marcel