Preferred (or "Best", FSVO) svn/FLOSS hosting?

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Mon Jun 23 10:25:24 BST 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 01:38:00 -0700, Randy J. Ray wrote:
> I've been meaning to do this for ages, but I'd like to move my private SVN
> repos that I use for my CPAN modules to a publicly-accessible service.
> Reading recently about the git hosting service that sprang up a few months
> back just reminded me. What are people's preferred choices for this?
> Sourceforge.net? Better options?

To name a few:

SVN:

	http://coderepos.org/share/ # wikilike permission model

Git:

	http://repo.or.cz/ # noncommercial
	http://github.com/ # pretty easy to get things set up, fairly opensource friendly

or just host on plain HTTP and receive patches by email.

Darcs also works this way (HTTP+Email is fully supported), and even
lets you set up an email address as part of the repo meta data.
That's what I have set up for all my CPAN code.

If you move away from SVN to something like git or darcs etc the
hosting headache and barrier for random people contributing is very
very low, which is nice.

--
  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org>
http://nothingmuch.woobling.org  0xEBD27418