Google App Engine -- with Perl

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at
Wed Jul 23 16:41:14 BST 2008

2008/7/23 Alistair McGlinchy <amcglinchy at>:

> For those looking forward to future nostalgia, this came my way today:
> "I'm happy to announce that the Google App Engine team has given me
> permission to talk about a 20% project inside Google to to add Perl support
> to App Engine. "
> This is good news.  Or does the powers of Buffy suggest otherwise?

I think it's pretty cool news, more so in that it could help provide a
new perl compiler/interpreter that can be used in a wider range of
places, possibly even allow development of an ISP friendly mod_perl.

That combined with the TPF funded perl-on-a-stick project mean that
Perl 5 really can be run-anywhere, or at least closer enough to be a
pretty cool piece of news.