SVN question

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Tue Jul 29 22:56:09 BST 2008

I have a Makefile that produces a package. All well and good. And as a
good developer I want that package to have a major and minor version
number. Also well and good.

Now the major version i can set for myself and I can work out the minor
number using

 # Version is set manually
 VERSION     = 2.0
 # Work out the revision from the SVN revision
 # This will be automatically updated when we commit
 REVISION    = `echo '$Revision$\' | cut -d ' ' -f 2`

So that's fine. Except I don't want to have to touch then commit the
Makefile everytime.

Now I'd like people who do a svn export as well as an svn co to be able
to do this so that rules out grubbing through .svn directories. I'd also
rather not have a $Revision$ in every file and then recursively grep
through all of them looking for the highest number.

Is there anyway to force a file to always be updated on every commit?

Simon