Food of the Gods ?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Aug 13 17:55:21 BST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 05:38:36PM +0100, Andy Wardley wrote:
[...]
> Under no circumstances should you buy a reblochon and then leave it to rot
> in the back of the fridge. It will melt down the walls, eat through the
> fridge, the floor, and all the way down to the centre of the earth.

It reminds me of Red Spot, an alleged cheese sold in Birmingham's market.
What you got for your two quid was a large yellow lump, wrapped in cling
film, with only a red dab from a marker pen to differentiate it from Black
Spot or No Spot, its lesser, but still quite dangerous brethren.

This stuff would happily sweat through the cling film. Indeed, if you left
it in the fridge long enough, it would start sweating through the door. To
make a cheese sauce you would gingerly lift the Red Spot from its lead-lined
box, waft it around in the general direction of the kitchen, and then chain
it back up again.

An ex once made me a cheese butty with Red Spot. Enough said.

It can also surely be no coincidence that the market stall that used to sell
Red Spot has been demolished encased in twelve feet of concrete as part of
the Bull Ring renovations.