Food of the Gods ?

Greg McCarroll greg at mccarroll.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 06:55:34 BST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 04:41:24PM -0500, Ian Malpass wrote:
> Peter Corlett wrote:
>
> >Tips for people who don't care about their heart: dry-fry good quality
> >bacon in a clean pan, and drop in some sliced mushrooms about half way
> >through to soak up the bacon grease. The resulting butty is ecstasy, and
> >doesn't even require brown sauce.
>
> This is the One True Way for fry-ups, too. The fat from the sausages is
> helpful, too, but baconated mushrooms rock.

This is also the correct preparation of the Northern Irish[2] delicacy
potato bread which should be added to the pan when you see some tasty
bacon fat needing to be soaked up[1].

G.

[1] My family did similar things with drained marrowfat peas and
    mashed turnip.
[2] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4753547.stm - I suspect the
    Scot's only 'beat' the Northern Irish in tables like this due to
    factors other than home cooking.