These aren't the characters you're looking for...

Robin Barker Robin.Barker at
Tue Aug 19 11:17:01 BST 2008

From: Andy Wardley
> I mistakenly wrote this the other day:
>     [\s^\n]
> What I wanted was to match a whitespace character that wasn't a newline.
> Of course, I could just write this:
>     [ \t]
> But that doesn't include the Unicode whitespace characters which \s would
> normally match.  So I ended up writing this:
>     [ \t\x{85}\x{2028}\x{2029}]
> Second: am I missing something obvious?  Is there a better way to do it?

You could use
(see perlre), but my experience is that [:...:] does not behave as I expect with unicode (maybe my expectations are wrong).

You could also do a negative look ahead

privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only.
If you are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or
disclose such information.

NPL Management Ltd cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any
attachments are free from viruses.

NPL Management Ltd. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2937881
Registered Office: Serco House, 16 Bartley Wood Business Park,
                   Hook, Hampshire, United Kingdom  RG27 9UY