perl bless/overload performance problem on RHEL

Matt S Trout dbix-class at
Wed Sep 3 10:43:48 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 10:16:42AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> What RedHat did, and why - your guess is as good as mine. But anyone
> commenting about the source, cause, or intent of code changes to the
> Perl core itself that is in disagreement with what I typed in
> is wrong.

They originally merged your patch to negate a Class::DBI crash, since
::HasBeenDeleted doesn't have overloading but Class::DBI itself stringifies
out of the box.

The irony of the fact that this then went on to fuck over performance in
DBIx::Class on those perls was not lost on me.

   Technical Director