Getting my TODO list down

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at
Thu Sep 4 12:43:57 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at> wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2008, at 11:29, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
>> I must be missing something - but it looks for me that you are talking
>> here about scaling the solution up - making it working for huge loads.
>> The problem PHP solved is scaling *down* - that is making it easy to
>> deploy your application and what follows making it also cheap.  This
>> means you can start your website on shoestring and only if it is
>> sucessful you'll need to pay for the additional load it generates (but
>> then you'll have the money for that).  In short it enables
>> experimentation with all possible web applications.  It avoids the
>> up-front costs - just like the Agile techniques in programming.
> But shared hosting is *exactly* the problem of scaling up.

Scaling up can become a problem only after you have a succesful
application.  Scaling down solves the problem of *up front* costs.
Concentrating on scaling up is in business like the Big Design Upfront
Waterfall approach in programming.  Scaling down let's you experiment
with many business models with low cost - this is like Agile approach
to programming.

Zbigniew Lukasiak