Powerline networking

Jonathan Peterson JPeterson at bmjgroup.com
Fri Sep 26 14:20:14 BST 2008

I confess that I sort of forgot about the whole 'network over power
cables' thing until I needed network access in series of buildings with
metre thick granite walls. And concrete ceilings.

Does anyone know if powerline adaptors (things that turn your socket ring
into something like a LAN) "just work" or require multiple faffing
sessions? The actual requirement is to network the various converted
outbuildings of an old farm. My guess is that these things turn the copper
cables into a kind of giant unswitched 10-base-2 type network. My hunch is
that the network is shared across every building on the same loop from the
nearest transformer - I don't see how the signal would get through a
transformer, and I don't see why anything else would stop it. This is
fine, as the devices appear to have some kind of security layer that
prevents neighbours reading your network traffic.

Has anyone used this stuff?

----
Jonathan Peterson

The BMJ Group is one of the world's most trusted providers of medical information for doctors, researchers, health care workers and patients www.bmjgroup.bmj.com.  This email and any attachments are confidential.  If you have received this email in error, please delete it and kindly notify us.  If the email contains personal views then the BMJ Group accepts no responsibility for these statements.  The recipient should check this email and attachments for viruses because the BMJ Group accepts no liability for any damage caused by viruses.  Emails sent or received by the BMJ Group may be monitored for size, traffic, distribution and content.  BMJ Publishing Group Limited trading as BMJ Group.  A private limited company, registered in England and Wales under registration number 03102371.  Registered office: BMA House, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9JR, UK.