Powerline networking

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 22:33:26 BST 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Jonathan Peterson
<JPeterson at bmjgroup.com> wrote:
> I confess that I sort of forgot about the whole 'network over power
> cables' thing until I needed network access in series of buildings with
> metre thick granite walls. And concrete ceilings.
>
> Does anyone know if powerline adaptors (things that turn your socket ring
> into something like a LAN) "just work" or require multiple faffing

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/13/solwise_pushes_powerline_sec/

I've four of these, and they mostly work a charm.

I gather it can depend a bit on how good your wiring is.  Peronally,
power-strips (four sockets, with a lead, that expands a wall socket)
really kill it.  Used directly in the wall sockets, they work really
well.

One unit didn't.  Solwise replaced it without much fuss (after I
assured them I can read and following the instructions, and had
actually tested it properly).