DBIx::Class - Related Tables

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Oct 7 18:18:08 BST 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 09:03:08AM +0100, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
> Then what's the benefit of an ORM? (general question, not just to you :)
>

> I'm a big fan of an application-specific wrapper over the d/b that
> does what you need, so in Dave's case a get_highest_version() sub
> with the SQL inside. Is that now passé?

Nothing wrong with that.

For those of us who've been doing DBIC for a while, it's quicker for us to
write get_highest_version using DBIC than using plain SQL, because it's more
concise and survives things like table renames.

It's one of those things - once you know how to use $library, it's quicker
to use $library to do $thing than it is to write code by hand to do it.

Until you know $library well enough, then that's not true - and learning
$library sufficiently for that may not be an investment worth making just
now.

The same statements probably apply with s/$library/$editor/ and many other
such substitutions.