Perl's lack of 'in' keyword

Jonathan Stowe jns at integration-house.com
Tue Oct 7 19:25:20 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 18:28 +0100, Iain Barnett wrote:

> >> Is there some reason why -- was picked over 'in' ? It just seems
> >> to pander to those who think perl reads like line noise.
> >

> > It's ~~ not -- and it's not just in - it's a general purpose
> > adaptive match whose semantics are determined by the things being
> > matched.
>
> Excuse my bleary eyes and my font.
>

> > And (meta) who cares about people who think that Perl reads like
> > line noise. Should the language bend to the preferences of those
> > who dislike it?
> >

> With that attitude it's a wonder why anyone picks languages other
> than perl.

I don't see the python or ruby people worrying to much about people who
object to the way that their languages of choice look for instance.

If I had a quid every time someone said something to the effect of "with
an attitude like that ..." on some Perl usenet group/mailling list/web
forum over the last fifteen years I've been using Perl then I would
probably wouldn't have to care about programming languages at all
now....

/J\