Perl's lack of 'in' keyword

Philippe Bruhat (BooK) philippe.bruhat at free.fr
Thu Oct 9 08:33:28 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 01:39:02AM +0100, Iain Barnett wrote:

> Why keep in a load
> of stuff just because it was there in version 4 and just because a (new
> language) version called Perl6 may be completed soon.

The answer to that is "to make sure programs written with an older Perl
will work with a new Perl". Compare with PHP.

The first time I heard of a Perl program being broken by an upgrade,
it was a Perl 4 program (used by the Haskell compilation toolchain or
something) that used the long-deprecated $* variable. When it went away
in 5.10, the program broke.

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 The more destruction we spread, the more we destroy ourselves.
                                                (Moral from Groo #12 (Image))