RPC/RMI in Perl

Kaoru kaoru at slackwise.net
Wed Oct 15 13:38:59 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 1:00 AM, Nigel Rantor <wiggly at wiggly.org> wrote:
> If you *really* *really* want to pass object state around like this then I
> agree. You need your objects to be able to serialise their state. At that
> point you have a blob of data that you can use *any* RPC mechanism to shovel
> around the network. Possibly along with some metadata telling the other side
> what kind of object you'd like it deserialised into if there are multiple
> options.
>
> In terms of what you should be using, I'd say you should choose your IPC
> mechanism based on how much traffic you're going to have, how quick you want
> to be able to build something and whether or not you're going to need to
> interoperate with anything else (and this one also affects your
> serialisation scheme).

I think for the Buffer system I will have the Objects serialized and
pass them around using some seralizer and some RPC module. As you
pointed out they're not really objects, they're just collections of
data wrapped up with accessors.

Event::RPC seems to do what I want for the other parts of the project
where we actually do want RMI-style object stubs being passed around
so that Machine B, C and D can all call methods on an object and have
that method be handled by a real object on Machine A. I think I've got
my head around it now.

Thanks,

- Alex