Unlimited?

Denny london.pm at metamathics.org
Fri Oct 31 12:04:13 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 04:43 -0700, Ovid wrote:
> --- On Fri, 31/10/08, Denny <london.pm at metamathics.org> wrote:
>
> > http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/notlimited/
>
> Next we should create a petition which bans pet stores from labelling
> termites as "cats".  [...]
>
> Or we could just pay attention to the f***ing "truth in advertising"
> laws.  (Do we have any?)

The adverts are truthful.  They say 'unlimited, except as specified in
the small print', and the small print says 'limited'.  It's not untrue,
it's just misleading.  I assume this is why the ASA haven't done
anything about it, as 'misleading' is (whilst within their brief) harder
to prove than 'outright lies'.

The petition is (I assume, I didn't create it) an attempt to apply
pressure to the ASA from above.