Please help us estimate the size of the Catalyst user base

Kieren Diment kdiment at uow.edu.au
Thu Nov 6 09:44:27 GMT 2008

Hi All,

Apologies for the cross-posting, I'm trying to representatives of as
many organisations as possible who use Catalyst as possible to reply
to this email.

We need your assistance to help estimate the number of users of
Catalyst.  Matt Trout and I have written a proposal for a Catalyst
book, and while we have a well known, credible publisher interested,
they want the assurance that the market for the book is large enough
to make it worth their while.

If you could take the time to provide the following information (I've
set reply-to to me for your confidentiality, and so that we don't
pollute the list with this stuff) this would be really useful.  I'll
also let you know the results of this survey when I have them.

I will treat this information in confidence, and will only use
aggregated data so that you or your organisation will not be
identifiable in the report I make on this data.

There are about 1000 subscribers on the catalyst mailing list, and I'd
hope for a response rate of about 10% (i.e. about 100 replies).  The
information I'm collecting is likely to result in an outcome that is
useful to you in a commercial way, so your participation would be much
appreciated.

Please try to ensure that only one person from your organisation
answers these questions.

1.  What country are you in?

2.  How many people are on your team?

3.  How many of those people are writing code with Catalyst?

3a.  If there are non Catalyst coders on your team, how many of the
whole team would you like to be writing Catalyst code?

4.  How many people using Catalyst on your team are subscribers to the
Catalyst mailing list?

5.  How many people writing Catalyst code on your team use the
#catalyst irc channel on irc.perl.org?

6.  These two questions are about the potential for the growth of
Catalyst usage in your organisation.

6a.  How many people do you think will be using Catalyst in your
organisation in 12 months time?

6b.  How many people do you think will be using Catalyst in your
organisation in 2 years time?

Thanks for your cooperation.  If you know of any teams who are users
of Catalyst but that do not subscribe to the Catalyst mailing list, or
are on the IRC channel, please forward this email to them.

Thanks.

Kieren Diment