Perl is dead

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 18:42:14 GMT 2008

On 2008-12-03 18:13, "Jesse Vincent" <jesse at fsck.com> wrote:

> On Wed  3.Dec'08 at 17:55:55 +0000, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

>> http://davehodg.blogspot.com/2008/12/perl-is-dead.html
>
> Is there really no Ruby or Python on that list?

At risk of being somewhat london-centric, how many jobs have you seen
advertised for python down here recently?

In the past year or so I've seen about 5 python jobs advertised (at least
that I've noticed). Alongside this there have been a large number of perl
jobs, a handful of ruby jobs and a surprisingly large amount of PHP jobs.

It all depends what you're after.

Certainly, to get employed in london, you shouldn't be focusing on python
since the jobs just aren't really there. Most of the ruby jobs (usually
rails) are startups that will die a couple of months in or those gigs the
BBC can't seem to get rid of. Perl may have taken a huge hit with the banks
going bust but it's still going (albeit somewhat wounded). On the other
hand, the PHP market is brilliant, just for the most part it pays pretty
badly (and you have to work with PHP...).

--James