Perl is dead

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 19:01:20 GMT 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 18:37, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 Dec 2008, at 18:13, Jesse Vincent wrote:
>> On Wed  3.Dec'08 at 17:55:55 +0000, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

>>> http://davehodg.blogspot.com/2008/12/perl-is-dead.html
>>
>> Is there really no Ruby or Python on that list?
>
> There weren't on the original list. Fixed.
>
> Perl at least kicks the ass of the upstarts.

For now. I do see that changing though.
The other languages have their problems, but they have strengths that
shouldn't be ignored.

I had a really long example here, comparing python, perl and ruby, but
I decided to hold there delete key on my iPhone for 5 mins to delete
it. It's irrelevent.

Even by your numbers, python an ruby combined are sneaking up on perl.
WHY are they popular? They're not new. Python's been around for a long
time, and I believe ruby has too.

They've solidified their community, which doesn't just stick to the
old way of doing things.

(I can't believe I'm saying this next bit..)
Javascript, Ajax, animated gifs, flash, embedded java applets.
These are all GOOD things. The rest of the world likes them. Geeks
might not, but ours is not the opinion which matters.

Ovid's right. We should be taking a long hard look at ourselves and
asking questions.
Are we evolving?
If not, why not?
If we wanted to, what could we change?

I do t think we really know what to change or how to change it.