Perl is dead

jesse jesse at fsck.com
Thu Dec 4 16:40:24 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 04:19:31PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 11:13:55AM -0500, jesse wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 11:44:43AM +0000, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > > Renaming Perl 6 to something completely different, and renaming perl
> > > 5.12 to perl 6.
> >
> > Perl 5 and Perl 6 are different languages at this point.
> >
> > Perl 5 12.0 solves that problem neatly ;)
>         ^  ^
>         |  |
>         `----- that character
>            `-- and that character
>
> are not the same, yet they map to the same concept in the implementation.

How about .0 vs 0? ;)

5.012000 = Perl 5.12.0 = Perl 5 12.0

> Find a single character that can sit in both positions, and this plan is
> far more viable.

This is the 'marketing name', not what the code reports.  The code is
still reporting things the way it used to report 5.010000

"Perl" describes a family of languages. The one we know and love is
"Perl 5". The one I'm the project manager for is called "Perl 6".

It's only fitting that the "5" make its way from version number to name
since incrementing it to 6 or 7 is going to start a flame war the size
of...[I'm not going to autogodwinize now, thank you very much.]