Perl Christmas Quiz

Tara Andrews tla at mit.edu
Fri Dec 12 16:48:20 GMT 2008

What the hell, since we've spent the last few days arguing with each
other about our (and Perl's) image to newcomers:

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Paul Makepeace <paulm at paulm.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Robin Berjon <robin at berjon.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 12, 2008, at 13:56 , Paul Makepeace wrote:
>>>
>>> Do not apply for a job with that code :-)
>>
>> Not that I'm hiring or that I can't see issues with the code above, but the
>> guy did state he had "baby perl" and then posted his proposed solution to a
>> list famous for being full of Perl luminaries. Curiosity, guts, willingness
>> to learn — that's a CV I'd look at.
>
> Fair enough, and not the place to make comments. I think I've just had
> one too many interview candidates in recent memory who have named
> their functions "func" and used variable names like "foo", "bar", etc.
>
> Free interviewer's hint: DO NOT DO THIS.
>
> P, who does his best to objectively review the rest of the candidate's
> efforts, but by god, it can be hard sometimes...

The one-line put-down wasn't really very helpful in letting Fahad know
what was wrong with his code; it was just an assertion that you are
smarter than he is.  It took another prod to get any actual
*constructive* criticism, even with the obvious "baby perl" tag that
said "I'd like to learn to do this better".  This is what bothers me
about the attitudes here sometimes.

-tara