london.pm.org web site - facelifted (v2)

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Mon Dec 15 20:17:12 GMT 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Andy Wardley <abw at wardley.org> wrote:
> Nigel Rantor wrote:
>>
>> I've already poked Andy about this when he put up the initial version.
>
> Here's my reply to Nigel, for the benefit of anyone else interested.
>
> <reply>
>
> Yes.  I've always been a fluid-layout kinda guy.  800x600 is annoyingly
> narrow when you've got a large monitor, so a fluid layout was a big win when
> you had to assume a minimum width of 800px.
>
> But these days, it's considered "officially" OK to assume that 1024x768 is
> the lowest common denominator for screen width, which gives you a nicely
> sized

I'd aim for 950-ish width - not much of a sacrifice from 1024 - that
way you can fit a couple of them side by side on 1920x monitors, which
are pretty affordable and commonplace these days.

Also *requiring* 1024 or near it doesn't leave people the scope to
have a bit of space around the browser to bring other windows up,
click on the desktop, taskbar/dock etc. etc.

Good stuff tho, big improvement!