Regexps in 5.11 [was Re: Perl Christmas Quiz]

Nicholas Clark nick at
Tue Dec 16 11:09:47 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:56:31AM +0000, Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:41:07 +0000
> Nicholas Clark <nick at> wrote:
> > regexps internally became a first class concept in 5.11
> Oooh. I wonder, is that why my Devel::Refcount fails everywhere on 5.11,
> with wobblies about the reference count of qr//?

Yes, probably.
IIRC we think that it's a bug, but the same "we" hasn't yet found an "I" to
locate and fix it.

> but I'd love to get to the bottom of it. Do you know any writings or
> authoritative source on the changes?

Um. No. I did it. I didn't write anything down.
All I can say reliably is that it's some subset of the changes in

for example

Nicholas Clark