Mobile broadband

Hakim Cassimally hakim.cassimally at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 08:55:38 GMT 2008

On 19/12/2008, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:
>  On 19 Dec 2008, at 05:57, Simon Cozens wrote:>
> > Anyone got any experience of mobile broadband providers? Any good ones,
> > good deals, horror stories,
> don't-use-this-if-you-have-a-Mac stories,
> > etc.?
>
>  I have the Huwawei E220 dongle on Vodafone on a Mac. It works.

I had the same dongle with voda for a bit: I suspect my dongle may
have been faulty, as it only worked intermittently on Windows
(sometimes didn't mount the auto-connect application correctly),
barely worked on Linux with the hackish unsupported connect script
voda semi-officially supply (I was too stupid to work out the wvdial
incantations on my own). Also, it barely had any reception in the
hills just above Gatwick airport.

I did try it briefly on Mac (it didn't work, but tbh I didn't try very
hard, sent it back to voda, and changed to a B&B that did free wifi
instead).

> I pay  *mumble* a month for 5G.

Sadly _Dave confirms that this isn't Yet Another mobile broadband
standard but a data transfer limit.  Er, unlimit.  Or whatever.

--
osf'