Mobile broadband

Denny london.pm at metamathics.org
Fri Dec 19 12:07:48 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 11:53 +0000, Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> 2008/12/19 Simon Wilcox <essuu at ourshack.com>:
> > I have a t-mobile dongle thing which is OK but they have a trans-proxy on
> > the web interface which compresses images and inserts javascript into the
> > page to allow you to click them for the full resolution.
> >
> > Unfortunately this f**ks up a good proportion of sites that make anything
> > more than cursory use of javascript.
>
> I seem to recall it fucks up a whole bunch of other things that makes
> mobile content providers very unhappy. Like device detection and GeoIP
> and stuff ...

You wouldn't normally be using a mobile broadband dongle to access
mobile websites.  They're generally aimed at people browsing directly
from mobile devices, rather than people using a mobile connection with a
full-fat device.

(Yes, I'm sure people can think of a half a dozen edge cases where this
isn't true.  It's still mostly true.)

Mobile networks all tend to screw GeoIP anyway, with or without nasty
javascript, as they NAT down to a fairly small range of real IPs.