Mobile broadband

Sam Smith S at mSmith.net
Fri Dec 19 15:58:32 GMT 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Simon Cozens wrote:
> Denny wrote:
>> You wouldn't normally be using a mobile broadband dongle to access
>> mobile websites.
>
> If they're going to meter my connection per byte, I want the most
> bang-per-byte I can get.

t-mobile are pretty good at not caring unless you do insane
amounts of traffic. A friend borrowed my t-mobile modem as
her main internet connection at home for a few months, and
they never batted an eyelid. They also don't print out the
data usage reports they make available online, as I think
one of them hit 1000 pages.

If you're looking to buy a house in the SW, keep an eye out
for where the mobile phone towers are, and consider a house
with a line of sight. A friend has bad ADSL coverage living
by a field in the hills a long way from civilisation/the
exchange, but the local 3G mast is on the other side of the
field, giving fast transfer rates from that.

Sam

--
Risks: If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of
life's great disappointments