My New Job (Was: Social Thurs 8 Jan 2009)

Paul Makepeace paulm at
Mon Jan 5 14:39:47 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Roger Burton West <roger at> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 02:13:48PM +0000, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> >Get a bicycle or a scooter. Do your level best in the meantime to ignore any
> >commentary from anyone who hasn't actually ridden in London.
> Seconded. Advice from a relatively new cyclist on request, or distilled
> at .

Cool. As a two-time Strida owner I can assure you they are most
certainly _not_ "gimmick" bikes, esp. considering they've won a whole
bunch of folding competitions beating Bromptons for folding speed
(<2s), maneuvrability, and something else I forget. I rode from West
Hampstead to Mayfair (i.e. non-trivial distance) the other night, and
can take it on buses, tubes, and trains with never any hassle, esp
since they weigh <10kg. The newer Strida 5 is a nice improvement over
its already-decent-but-slightly-sloppy previous incarnation.

If you're going multi-modal folding bikes are the only way to go, IMO.
(I've heard awful things about Dahon though, btw.)

FWIW: I had a terrible experience with Bikefix, to the point of having
me give them another, rhyming name...

And don't forget fixed gear :-)