My New Job (Was: Social Thurs 8 Jan 2009)

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Mon Jan 5 16:54:08 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Simon Wilcox <essuu at ourshack.com> wrote:
> Robert Shiels wrote:
>>
>> I would love to have a go on a Strida so that I could give an opinion -
>
> I had a go on Paul's a few years ago and even though I'm only a couple of
> inches taller than he is (I'm 6' 4") it made a huge amount of difference,
> from really useful to very unstable with my knees knocking on the handlebars
> when cornering.

I actually learnt something slightly counter-intuitive when I got my
second one and was having the seat height adjusted which is that a
lower seat is a bit better for taller people (on this bike) so you get
knee-room. The cost of course is that your legs ride in a more folded
position--may or may not be a problem.

The guy that designed the Strida is 6'1". That said, you might just be too big!

Next time I'm in London at a social I'll bring it along for anyone
else <6'4" ;-)

Paul, only 6'

PS Brompton's are great; I didn't meant to suggest otherwise--my
personal take is that if you are regularly riding 'proper' distances
like >3mi and/or carrying luggage you probably want a Brompton. The
Strida's use case is IMO more towards getting to/from the
Tube/train/bus stop, buzzing around short-ish distances, but _can_ do
longer distances if you need it.