Testing network apps

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Tue Jan 20 11:13:23 GMT 2009

Dirk Koopman wrote:

[ Something unrelated to the tech talk thread ]

It would be great if you could start new topics by creating a new email
to the list address rather than just replying to an existing message and
changing the subject.

If you reply to an existing message then your message will contain the
"References:" and "In-Reply-To:" headers which mark your message as
linked to the original message. Modern email programs will then display
your message deep within the existing thread and not in a new thread.

For example, Dirk's message contained the headers:

And, yes, I know that Gmail threads on subject name. Gmail is broken in
this respect.

This isn't a rant, it's just a piece of friendly advice. It's also not
specifically aimed at Dirk. I've noticed a few people doing this and I'm
just using his mail as an example.

Cheers,

Dave...