[REPOST] Testing network apps

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Thu Jan 22 08:41:20 GMT 2009

Dirk Koopman wrote:
> Obviously, this will involve a lot of IO::Select and IO::Net* and a lot
> of asynchronous/non blocking working with timers and stuff. The basics
> of all of this networking is fairly simple and reasonably well
> understood. However, I have never done much in the way of complex
> network communicating testing of this sort using the Test::* modules,
> only simple module/library testing.

Since you don't seem to be getting much response, I'll pipe up.

Firstly, you might have more luck at perlmonks.org (if you haven't tried
there already).

You probably want to build a model of your controller(s). That way you
can test the code from "both sides". If it works with your mock
controller but not with the real one then you know the mock needs more work.

I'd also be tempted to have the code generate extensive logfiles and
then run the actual tests against those. I find it easier to spot timing
issues from a static logfile (particularly if I've not had enough coffee
that morning).

Apologies if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs here, but I can
guarantee this is the best response you've had so far :-)

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd