Today's MySQL Suckage

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Fri Jan 23 10:53:40 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Jonathan Stowe
<jns at integration-house.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/23 Paul Makepeace <paulm at paulm.com>:
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Andy Wardley <abw at wardley.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a file which defines a MySQL database schema.  It looks a bit
>>> like this:
>>>
>>>   /*
>>>   This table defines users of the
>>>   system who are Buffy fans.
>>>   */
>>>
>>>   CREATE TABLE buffy_fans (
>>>       ..etc...
>>>   );
>>>
>>> I feed it in thusly:
>>>
>>>   $ mysql < my_db_schema.sql
>>>
>>> And it says:
>>>
>>>   usage: who [-abdHlmpqrstTu] [am I] [file]
>>
>> I for one can't replicate this.
>>
>> MySQL 5.0.51a
>>

> Ah that old "the mysql suckage is fixed in the very next version" gambit.
>
> Let's test this.

Sure, it also doesn't do that on Debian stable (5.0.32) released two years ago.

$ mysql -V
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.32, for pc-linux-gnu (i486) using readline 5.2
$ tee foo.sql | mysql
/*
system who
*/
$

Nice try tho ;-)

> Another thing that sucks about MySQL is its name.

Agree there... At least PostgreSQL provides a name that sucks much
more reliably.