Testing network apps

Paul LeoNerd Evans leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
Sun Jan 25 18:01:05 GMT 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:23:01 +0000
Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk> wrote:

> I am thinking about a framework to test an networking app (networking
> over both wire and radio [of various sorts]) that would involve
> dynamically generating configurations on each of two "nodes" and then
> running/controlling those nodes via each of those several bearers -
> either from one of the nodes or from a third computer (connected via
> normal TCP over wires to the controllers).
>
> It seems likely that this will involve a "node controller" process for
> each end (to generate configs and start/stop the processes) and a
> testing process which both talks to each controller and provides the
> actual input to one node and monitors the output from the other.

Sounds like you might be doing something a little similar to my
IPC::PerlSSH; see if you get any hints from:

  http://search.cpan.org/author/PEVANS/IPC-PerlSSH-0.10/lib/IPC/PerlSSH.pm

Also for nonblock/async stuff:

  http://search.cpan.org/author/PEVANS/IPC-PerlSSH-Async-0.03/lib/IPC/PerlSSH/Async.pm

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/