[REVIEW] Drobo

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 10:36:18 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Paul Sharpe <paul at coreware.co.uk> wrote:
> 2009/1/30 Léon Brocard <acme at astray.com>:
>
>> You'll want to buy some drives, 2 or 3 of these should do:
>>
>>  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000X4PJG8?tag=astray-21
>
> I've heard various people say that Seagate are better than WD both in
> terms of MTBF and RMA.  There was some kind of firmware issue with
> Seagate 1.5TB drives and Drobo recently.
>
> paul

Anecdotal evidence I guess, but I've found WDs to be more reliable
than seagates (and generally cheaper too).

I've never sent one back (because I've only had one fail and it was
years after I bought it), but I understand their RMA procedures are
pretty effective (but then so too are seagate's -- they just insist
you run a windows-only utility on it before you send it back).

--James