[REVIEW] Drobo

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Fri Jan 30 16:30:10 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 08:55:51AM +0000, Leon Brocard said:
> 2009/1/29 Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk>:
>
> > How much, where from?
>
> Amazon.co.uk has the new Drobo in stock for £399.24:
>
>   http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001CSZMRK?tag=astray-21

Holy Exchange Rate batman. At the time that would have been $800 which
means I paid about a 3rd. Even with the English Lira sinking to a new
low against the Yankee Peso these days I still got it for half the
price.

Even still, I won't deny that the Drobo is a bit pricy. I looked at
alternatives when I was thinking about it but what sold it for me in the
end was the lack of hassle which is probably not what everyone else
wants - if you already have a *nix box lying round on your network then
you're probably golden and should go with that.

As an aside: I have much love for the WD line of products.

Ironically my beloved 500Gb MyBook died when I was backing it up to the
Drobo - it probably wasn't the smartest idea to try and copy everything
over at once for 8 hours from a 2 year old drive.

However my little diddy 250Gb Passport, which is approximately the size
of a wallet, a hip flask or a slim panatella case and which requires no
external power, is still going strong and is super awesome. And they're
cheap too. If I could somewho plug it into the iPhone and watch movies
from it then I would literally weep with joy.