Optimisation

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue Mar 3 14:35:32 GMT 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 12:17:22PM +0000, Nigel Peck wrote:
> I'm just asking because I try to think about optimisation as I'm writing
> code, rather than going back and doing it later, which I've only done in
> rare cases.

The most optimal code is maintainable code.  Lay your code out well,
make it easy to understand.  If you do that, then when the code sees use
and the actual priorities for optimisation become apparent, it'll be
much easier to make those improvements (especially if you are not the
person making them, but even if you are).  It's the only early
optimisation that works.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin