Recession rates

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 19:26:44 GMT 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 17:07, Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk> wrote:

> Jonathan Stowe wrote:
>
>> It's the recruiter doing it - the poor sap candidates are probably
>> getting 300 or less and will have been told that is the most that the
>> client is going to pay. The recruiter doesn't care, they might start
>> introducing a differential depending on whether they can drive the
>> candidates down any more if the client starts to hedge.  They want to
>> keep their figure in straight up monetary terms - they don't want to
>> take the same percent of a smaller rate.
>
> £300? Don't be daft. A lot of recruiters wouldn't get out of bed for
>  ~25%, they will be looking for at least %50 (and in the bad old day
> s 100%). I would not be surprised if the saps are being offered £200
>  "in these difficult times".
>
> Or have we all forgotten how much we hate these people?

I don't know what the contract market is like, but on the permis side
recruiters used to get up to 50% in the bad old days.

Now i've seen them beaten down to 10% 4 times. Once down to 7.5% each
when two people were hired together.

I spoke to a friend who is a recruiter a few mins ago, and they're in
quite a panic. Not because there isn't work (there's quite a bit
around apparently). Just that there are so few good candidates on the
market.

I don't mean to slight anyone on this list who can't work right now.
You're a diamond in a lot of rough.